Friday, July 25, 2008

Introducing My Business Journal

Disclaimer: This will be the longest post - EVER - on this blog.

This is my story so far.

Hi everyone!

My name is Jason and I am a small business owner. I have been running my music studio, Little Rock Jams, for two years now and loving every minute of it!

Before that, I was in mid-level management at at&t (that is the "new" at&t with lower case letters, not the old AT&T from yesteryear). Actually, I started with Southwestern Bell, which later became SBC, which then became at&t.

I spent 17 years with the company and met many wonderful people and developed great business skills over that time. But I reached a point somewhere along the road where I lost my passion for the job. In looking back, I think my passion was for advancement - you know - climbing the corporate ladder. I came to realize that with each level of management I attained, there would never be that moment where I could say "I've made it". It became clear that I was in a never ending cycle.

Well, eventually I started to loathe the job. Don't get me wrong, I worked with great people, many of whom I call close friends to this day. The pay was outstanding, with big fat bonuses every year. But I felt like I was just a butt in a seat, conference calls day in and day out. Deadlines upon deadline ... Trip after Trip (don't get me started on airport delays and missed flights). Team meetings, email, email, email....

So in 2006, when SBC acquired the old AT&T, the corporation offered a buy-out package to managment employees in order to minimize future surplus numbers. In other words, let's give some buy-out cash for those who want to leave and we'll have to fire fewer people in the end.

Disclaimer - Yep, long post - I told you so!

Before I talk about the money, I have to let you know that I am a musician. I play guitar, bass, some piano and can program a drum machine (LOL - my wife would never let me buy drums to learn). Music was my passion outside of my family. It still is to this day.

I had an idea for a music studio around 2004-2005 that I just knew would work in our market area. I would "try" to talk to my wife about it, but she wouldn't hear it. It was absurd to her that I would leave what she deemed a "pud" job with great pay, bennies, vacation, etc., for the uncertainty of the small business world.

Actually, in her mind, there was a certainty about the small business world - that is - that my business would fail and we would be screwed royally.

I'll talk more about my business, the inspiration and methods in the next post.

Well, cut to 2006 and the buy-out offer. Based on the numbers the company was offering, I realized that I would have enough capital to start a business and live on for two years before I would have to go belly up ... assuming of course that the business did not work.

I came home that March day in 2006 and casually mentioned to the wife that the company offered a buy-out and now would be the time for me to open my business. After all, I had 17 years with the company and I really felt that if I made it to 20+ years, I would be compelled to stay to make my 30 years and the retirement package.

My wife didn't flinch when she looked at the offer. She just said, "Well, if you're going to do it, do it now."

In hindsight, I believe that she probably thought I wouldn't have the balls to do it. This way, she would be the "good guy" by saying I could do it, "thinking" I wouldn't go through with it.

Well, I did and here I am, successful business with 140+ students and 3 teachers, ready to move into our new 4000 square foot facility in two weeks.

So there is my abbreviated story.

With this blog, I plan on sharing my experiences in leaving the safety of the corporate world and setting off on the small business journey.

If you are a small business owner, I hope that I can offer some insights on what made my business successful. I also hope to meet many like minded people to share ideas with.

I also plan on letting you know where I've stumbled in the past (and when I do so again in the future). There are setbacks, as in life, but it is how you handle those setbacks that determines your success or failure.

Thanks for reading the Looooooooooooong post. Keep checking in and I hope you'll like what you read!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice post. No it was not too long. I think you are brave to go out on a limb so to speak and do what you love to do. That is the backbone of small businesses, people like you who have a dream and go for it. Here's to continued success!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the blogsphere! Thank you for sharing your experiences. Many of us are at various stages of life and can benefit from lessons learned. Enjoy!

Jason said...

@ ettarose - thank you for your comments! We're moving into a larger studio next week, so I definitely hope to have continued success (to pay the bills LOL)

@bsawards - thanks for the welcome. Hopefully I'll have some interesting content and maybe a solid tip here or there!